8/20/2008

June 9th

I watched the narrow hallway
come to an end where the desk stood.
I was prepared: lessons were fresh,
I had learned from failures, felt sorrow,
and faced sickness. I had even loved.

I heard a woman struggle with pain.

I sat on the black chair across the desk.
This was my moment for honesty.
Time to be assertive, answer quickly,
impress, succeed, and move on.
…and why not? I earned it.

I heard a woman shout with pain.

He walked to the desk, sat on the big chair
across from me, and asked a question
I had never heard before.
I froze, forgot everything I knew.
No answer…couldn’t even recall my name.

A woman released a cry of pain, then grunted
three times as if to gather strength.

Someone hit me.
I cry. I cry. I cry.
I am being handed to her.
She smiles and for the first time,
holds me to her breast.

DQ 08/19/08